|Posted by Jonathan Fields on August 26, 2009 at 9:46 AM|
Next meetingThursday, August 20th 6:00 pm, Perkins Family Restaurant
August 6 Meeting
Laura opened the meeting with the pledge and Mason offered the prayer. Laura, assisted by Bobbie, told about the new fishing pier at Kaufman Lake. It is funded in part by Kellogg Corp, Champaign Park District and C-U Optimist Club. The pier will be handicapped accessible and only 3 feet off the lake. Walt presented Laura, the park district rep, with our donation. Judy, Bobbie and Joyce won door prizes.
• Our club has passed the benefactor category in Optimist International donations.
• YMCA thanked us for our “Strong Kids” campaign donation.
• We received a certificate and letter from Urbana Middle School for our involvement in the Character Education program and Student of the Month retreat.
• Walt, Joyce, Jim and Laura attended the District Convention in Springfield. OI VP Eddie Wyndt from Jamaica was present. Only internet copies of the District Bulletin will be sent. Amy will be in charge of this project. Joyce is Lt Gov of our zone and was elected Finance Chair of the Illinois District. Congratulations, Joyce!!
• Mason thanks you for your volunteer hours at the county fair. We were able to meet our budget, earning only $72 less than last year. We might look at the possibility of corporate sponsors helping take tickets next year.
• The point system, as it pertains to dues reduction, will be instituted beginning in October. This means that as you volunteer for projects and work shifts at the 2 fundraisers, your dues would be reduced as the volunteering accumulates. All committee chairs need to let Walt know the event and times members work on each project. Dues are due.
3 Bill Fondren 3 Penn & Barb Nelson
6 Dave Kovacic 20 Jim & Carol Manley
11 Sally Widholm 28 Dave & Peggy Kovacic
27 Walt Splittstoesser
27 Connie Minnes
29 Howard Schweighart
Essay Contest topic- “The Internet: Today’s Evolution or Tomorrow’s Menace?”
Oratorical Contest topic-“Cyber Communication – Progress or Problem?”
"Optimists- Friend of Youth-
Bringing Out The Best In Kids."
Our web site- https://cuoptimist.org
Illinois District web site: http://www.illinoisoptimist.org
International web site: http://www.optimist.org
August 20- Elaine Carter, Children’s Advocacy Center
August 30 Fair picnic 4pm- see directions below
September 3 Picnic and zone meeting at Joyce’s home – check attached flyer- IO Internet Safety program presented that night.
September 17- Dave Grabow- Headstart of Savoy
October 1- Installation of Officers for 2009-10
Mistakes are the visual bridge between inexperience and wisdom. Phyllis Theroux
Fair thank you picnic-bring a dish to share and your table service. Steaks are provided. Gather at 4, eat at 5. August 30th
Jim and Pam Sisco directions-
> Start out going SOUTH on US-45 S. (go 4 miles)
> Turn RIGHT onto COUNTY ROAD 1000 N/MONTICELLO RD/CR-18. Continue to follow COUNTY ROAD 1000 N/CR-18. (go 9.0 miles)
> Turn LEFT onto COUNTY ROAD 200 E/CR-6. (go 3.3 miles)
> End at 676 County Road 200 E Ivesdale, IL 61851-9774
TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 26 minutes DISTANCE: 20.18 miles
Zone 7 meetingSeptember 3rd, 2009
6:00pm—7:00 pm Picnic Social
7:00 Marshal Presentation
7:10 Decatur Presentation
7:20 C U Presentation
7:30 Internet Safety –New Program OI
Joyce K Remesch
3004 Kyle St
Urbana IL 61802
RSVP please -217-384-7048 or E-mail: [email protected]
Bring Dish to Share
Bring $5.00 for Fifty Fifty Heads Tails Game
Oops, you forgot something.